On Monday, January 18, 2010, we went to our 40 week 2 day appointment. I was about 70% effaced and almost 2 cm dilated. Because I had passed my due date we agreed to allow Dr. Singleton to fully strip the membranes. Within 20 minutes of this I had about 6 good contractions but they spaced out so we decided to go home. Daddy spent the rest of the day at home with Paxton and I because I was having the contractions every 10 minutes. We ate dinner and relaxed but shortly after I started having contractions every 4-5 minutes apart. I called my friend Renee because I didn’t know if I should go to the hospital or not. She thought it was a good idea because while on the phone with her I had 3 contractions. We live 20 minutes from the hospital and had to drop off Paxton so we decided to go in. It was 5:45 and we quickly loaded everything in the car and went to Renee’s and left Paxton with her. That was almost the hardest part of everything. I had never left him for a long period of time and knowing this was the last time he’d be my only baby brought tears to my eyes.
We then drove (sped) to the hospital and made it by 6:15pm. They quickly admitted us and got us into a room. Room 6. My nurse came and got me hooked up to monitor the baby’s heartbeat. Everything was good so I then agreed to have a line put in my hand, receive a bag of fluid and rest for a few minutes. Once the fluid was in me we took the line out of the IV and I was able to get up and walk around, bounce on my ball and labor in the bath tub that was in the room. It was about 8:30 and the contractions were coming every 1-3 minutes apart. If I moved, sat or stood, I had a contraction. There was not a lot of resting to be had. To make it worse, every contraction I had from the beginning was in my back. It felt like stabbing/shooting pains with a wrench tightening my spine more and more every time one came. My nurse had a natural childbirth so she was very helpful and calming. Renee was also there so she helped Daddy try to calm me and soothe me each time. I did my best but when I was checked again I was not making much progress. I was only a 4-5 and 80% effaced after several hours. It was 12:30am at this time and I had been laboring with terrible back labor, a sunny side up baby and no rest for over 6 hours. After talking to Daddy, I decided that my body would only get more tired and I could not labor like this for much longer and then also have to push. In tears, I decided to get an epidural. Once I got the epidural I was still able to feel the full force of the contractions on my right side. I got another one and this time it worked great. I still couldn’t sleep but I was able to rest and my body relaxed as well.
Our nurses switched over at 6:45am the new nurse came in and she said I was 100% effaced and 9 cm. The baby was slowly dropping. The doctor broke a very small bag of waters and I think this is what finally got the baby moving. Around 8 am the nurse came in said we were ready to start doing some practice pushing. I pushed for about 15 minutes and the doctor came in. Dr. Singleton said we were doing great and it wouldn’t be long. Being this was my first time laboring and pushing we didn’t know how long it would take. I wanted to see the birth so they got a mirror for me to watch. I didn’t think Daddy would want to watch but him and Grammy were there the whole time.
Once I started to see the head we knew it was almost time. Around 8:48 the head was out and they suctioned and cleaned and unwrapped the cord. At 8:52 on January 19th, 2010 Emory McClaren was born into the world and was immediately placed on my chest. He weighed 7 pounds 4 ounces and was 20 inches long. It was the most amazing and beautiful thing I had ever experienced in my life. Emory had passed some meconium in the womb but because his heart was perfect the entire time and they were able to suction him so thoroughly, he didn’t have to leave the room at all. After I held him and kissed him and loved him, they cleaned him up in the room. I delivered the placenta and the doctor stitched up the 3rd degree tears I got while pushing. When he was done stitching I got to nurse him. He latched on right away and nursed like a champ. With the help of family, a great nursing staff and Dr. Singleton, I was able to have my VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean).
3 comments:
I'm so freaking proud of you! I'm all teary-eyed.
Crying in my cube at work! Awesome Megan! I am so happy for you and that you were able to experience labor & delivery!!
Congrats!! You did awesome! You lasted a lot longer with out an epidural than i did! I checked in and wanted mine, lol. He's adorable!!
Post a Comment