26 August 2009

To the nice man in Cracker Barrel

This was our sweet little boy a year ago today.  It really has nothing to do with my post but I haven't uploaded my pictures from my camera yet so I thought this would work!

Today is Joe's late day.  He goes in a little late and gets off a little late.  It's not my favorite but it could be worse.  Usually on his late day I get to sleep, scratch that, stay in bed until 730 or so.  Joe decided I should get up at 7 and we should go eat breakfast as a family.  A guy he works with takes his daughter to breakfast on Wednesday's and Joe wanted to do something special with Paxton so I got up and we went.  

Once we arrived at Cracker Barrel Paxton had to walk, not be carried.  He made it in to the entrance where he decided he needed a break.  He took a seat in the middle of the floor in front of this nice old country man and talked to him for a bit.  Once we got him up, we made it to our seats and promptly started coloring and ordering.  Come to find out, the nice man was just going to his car and happened to be sitting in the table behind us.  We talked with him a little about how he got up to get driving at 330 in the morning and was just passing through on his way home, to Texas.  He chatted with us and Paxton a little more and we exchanged a few words throughout the meal here and there.  Paxton doesn't always take well to strangers, especially when he is eating, but he talked to him, tried to share his colors and his water and was very polite.  Before we even got our food this man blessed us with a very nice surprise.  He told us he wanted to buy our breakfast.  We of course said he didn't have to and he of course said "I know I don't have to, but you let me talk to your baby, you talked to me and you were nice people, I want to".  He promptly told every waitress he could to make sure he got the ticket.  Tears were in my eyes because, well, you just don't see a lot of people doing good things for others.  

It definitely made me think.  You can help people all the time and you never really know who you're helping.  You could be buying a millionaire breakfast or possibly just a family who can afford a nice treat once every two months.  

Joe and I both consider ourselves very blessed in every sense of the word and it reminded me that we need to bless others as we have been.  I can't wait to pay it forward!

So, to the nice man in Cracker Barrel, thank you for blessing us today.  Thank you for doing something for others that you know nothing about.  Thank you for getting my day off to an even better start and thank you for showing us there are still wonderful people left around us every day, even if we don't take the time to see it!

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

1 comment:

Chell said...

AAWWWWW That's so sweet!