06 March 2009

525,600 minutes

525,600 minutes=1 year

What a bittersweet day it is.  It's a very special day to celebrate a very special boy.  Today my precious baby boy is one year old.  One.  No longer a baby by definition, not quite a toddler either.  He's just one.  He's crawling, talking and laughing.  He's already throwing some fits, loving whole milk and playing with his friends like they are old college buddies.  His sweetness comes from his daddy.  His sassy side is from his mommy.  

On one hand I'm elated.  Joe and I (with some help from the big guy upstairs) were given the chance to become parents to what we didn't know was the sweetest boy alive.  We've watched him laugh and grow and become the character he is today.  The kid who loves to race to the dog food in hopes I won't see him snagging a few pieces for himself. The child who can't get enough of the Godzilla/Paxzilla song.  He's so lovely and so smart.  We've watched him go from baby blob to baby bump on a log to a real walking, talking boy.  He loves to wave and say Bye bye.  He also says momma, dada, bottle (well, baba), thank you or "dane do", dog and hi.  He kisses and hugs and gives high fives and does the crazy man.  He eats like a champ, plays well with others and cries like it's going out of style some times.  We've watched him learn how to do all of this and I'm in love and amazed.

On the other hand, I'm sad.  Where has the time gone.  There was a split second in time where I wished he's grow up a little bigger so we could do more, and my wish came true and now I regret ever seeing that falling star.  Make time stop.  Pause this very moment.  I want it to last forever.  My first and only baby is growing up and although I know I'll discover so many wonderful things in the future, I just don't want to right now.  I want to snuggle and cuddle and kiss and love.  I want to hold him and run my fingers through his curly hair.  I want to take 1000 pictures in hopes that one day I'll remember this moment like it was only yesterday.  

I did good all day today...until we put him to bed.  I just held him and rocked him (which I don't ever do at night, daddy does) and sang to him.  I kissed his head and cried tears on his cheek.  I asked him to consider staying a baby for a while longer, he just looked up at me with his big dark eyes and knew he was safe in my arms.  I'd like to think I'm done with the tears for now but tomorrow will bring an entire new flood, I know.  We'll celebrate with friends and family and enjoy this precious life we've been blessed to be able to know.

It's time for me to get some sleep.  Tomorrow is another busy day for us!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGEL!!!  MOMMY AND DADDY LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW!


4 comments:

Melissa said...

This made me cry, what a beautiful post. This whole Motherhood gig is just so bittersweet. Happy birthday sweet boy!!!

Shannon said...

Awwwr! You're such a fandamntastic mommy! It's so hard when you know that you'll miss the baby they were and yet know that great things are ahead of you. Happy Birthday Paxton!!!

Carrie said...

AH...that was sweet...

Happy Birthday Paxton!

Kami said...

awwwww!!! What a wonderful post! You made me get all teary : )