30 December 2010

Christmas 2010 (LOTS of pics...I'm warning you!)

We had a loverly Christmas this year.  Husband was off work for nine days in a row. It was such a welcomed break that this week hasn't been terrible even though he's been back at work every day.  We started our break by going to Oklahoma to spend time with my family there. It was a nice visit all around!  I was excited to show Paxton my meme's house and trees.  They are a wonderful memory of mine from childhood and I wanted him to share that with me =)

This was at my Mom's.  P & E's big gift was at our house waiting but they got a few things at her house as well =) 

E loved the paper.  Go figure.

After enjoying seeing all of my family, we headed back home to gear up for Christmas.  I didn't want to do anything big and crazy and it was honestly so much nicer to just relax.  Christmas Eve we baked reindeer cookies (thanks Aunt Rachelle for the mix!!!)



Christmas morning started off to be a bit dramatic.  P was not thrilled that someone came in the house and ate his cookies.  I had been back and forth on going with the modern day santa sneaks in your home leaves presents eats cookies story but P's attitude made me think maybe our kid just doesn't want/need that story. I'd much rather tell him the history of Bishop Nicholas and still leave presents and fill stockings and do away with the theatrics of "NOOOOOO, myyyyyyyyyyy cookies.". I promise, though, I'll make sure my kid isn't the little jerk in 2nd grade that spills the beans!

Figurative Santa came....

Figurative Grammy sent this kitchen:
The kitchen and Grammy are real...but husband and I ended up putting it together on Christmas Eve.  We totally got the raw end of the deal!  It was actually really easy, just time consuming.  The assembly directions were wonderfully written and clear!  So if you're looking for a nice kitchen, the Melissa and Doug one is worth the investment!

When the babies woke up and we all stopped crying about the cookie thief, the boys opened their stockings! E didn't care much but it was fun for us :)
P was all about the presents this year.  He loved them all and is actively playing with just about everything!
 I just love this pic of E. He looks like such a big boy!
 Playing with their new toaster!
 Daddy and his littlest!
P opening E's gifts.  Really, they both play with everything!
 After present mess.
Fun fun fun!

Christmas Evening we had Joe's parents and grandparents over for dinner.  We had a not so traditional lasagna dinner (which in my opinion was the best lasagna I have ever had.  Husband will agree.) It was nice for the boys to be able to spend some one on one time with their grandparents and great grandparents!  We then went to look at lights and then headed home to get tucked into bed!  The next morning I did a little a lot of Christmas decor shopping for next year.  We then packed up and went to Joe's parents house for a nice Christmas with them.  We had a lovely time watching the kids open gifts and a great traditional Christmas lunch!

As I reflect on our Christmas this year I really think about how we want to do things next year.  It's really important to me that our kids appreciate what Christmas is really about.  I want them to have fun but I want them to know that not all are as fortunate as others. I don't want my kids to be mad or sad when they don't get 98 things to open, but love and cherish what they do get.  I guess it's a good thing we have 12 months to think these things through :)

I'm ready to get our decor put away and get a new mantle done.  I can't decide if I should do Valentine's Day or do a birthday one every month we have a kiddo with a birthday (which right now would be March and January).

I hope all of my friends and family had a blessed and fulfilling Christmas and I hope everyone has a safe and prosperous New Year!

1 comment:

Parents of a Dozen said...

What a year, it always amazes me how much the children grow from the beginning of the year to the end.