20 August 2013

Only Two Weeks Later

So we officially started school two weeks ago.  At first I was stressed the mess out.  About Kindergarten.  It seems like parents to first time Kinder kids get pretty stressed and emotional regardless of where their children are getting their education.  Yesterday I saw so many emotion filled Facebook posts about their babies leaving home for a full day for the first time.  Oh mama's, I feel ya!  But my emotions came differently.  I don't have to worry about missing my babies and I am truly grateful for that...but instead I was choosing to worry about whether or not *I* was qualified to do this. With a third sweet babe on the way, a super silly, high energy three year old and a Kinder age kid who is SO very ready to be in school...but I have been reminded over the past two weeks that I'm not doing this because it is exciting and fun and I am a glutton for punishment.  (Although maybe I am and it is all of those things), but I am doing it because the Lord called us to.  I've told Him "no" in the past and that didn't always work out so well for me so we decided to obey ;)

Our "real" first day of school pictures.  The posed/two weeks late pictures will come in a day or two :)


Instead of buying a boxed curriculum set, we decided to piece together our own.  There was just too much extra stuff in the boxed sets for me.  I went with an actual Reading, Writing and Math curriculum for the big kid and have decided to focus on a letter each week for the little man. Each day we have a plan and we set out to do it.  Some days we start at 8:30, some days we start at 10.  Some day we're done in 30 minutes.  Some days we're done in 90 minutes.  I give as many breaks as requested and we stop for snacks and playing whenever the timing seems right.  We've even done some evening schooling once Daddy is home because our day went differently than planned.  I do have to say I just adore the flexibility that comes with this method of schooling and learning.

All I know is I have two tiny people that love to learn and I just can't wait to see where this year takes us!

 Letter A gluing activity.

Cutting, gluing and writing sight words.

Another plus of homeschooling: I still get my two hours of "nap time/rest time" and the boys are sleeping while I'm getting caught up on chores, blogs and naps :)

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: