07 February 2011

Valentine's Day Mantle and a Bone

I'll start with my pretty Valentine's Day mantle!

The only things I bought were the heart box on the right from the dollar tree and the candy hearts to go in the DIY hurricane vases. Everything else I had at home. Candles from Christmas clearance, blue vases my meme gave me, red glassware I've had for years and a banner cut from paper I already had.  =)


And I love it! 

And if you don't want to be annoyed with yet another person talking about doing for others and being green and not living in our self made oblivious bubble, then I'd stop reading right about.......NOW.

So now the bone. I have a bone to pick with you. Not every you out there but some of you. Specifically the you behind me in the grocery line this morning. 

Kroger used to give credit for bringing in your own shopping bags. It wasn't much of a credit but a little incentive is never a bad thing. I found out this morning that Kroger no longer gives said incentive as of Sunday. Bummer. I chatted a bit with the cashier stating I thought it was a bit sad because that little bit of incentive might have been enough to urge people to be a centimeter more "green". I said I was going to email Kroger in hopes that I, along with others, would be enough voice to maybe reinstate the policy.  SO, I check out push my cart away and the cashier asks the couple behind me (as if it's just part of her routine) "did you bring your own bags".  The man then says quite matter of fact-ly "No. I'll be dead before it'll make a difference. Not my job to take care of others."  what? What? WHAT? Not your job? What kind of selfish incompetent jerk person says that? Or thinks that? Or feels that way?  I get it, some people don't think that every little bit helps (PSA (public service announcement)-IT DOES!) but to blatantly say that you won't do anything because you think it doesn't effect you...? I'm used to being the butt of all jokes: food related, health related and lifestyle related, amongst the people I'm around often but that kind of comment irritated me to no end.  I really wanted to take out my IPod ear buds, remove my Lee press ons and go talk AT him about making different choices but instead (not knowing if I could talk to him without being angry) I just pushed my cart out and said a little prayer for him. 

Again, I get it.  Some people don't care. Some people think that if you don't think about it, it doesn't exist. Some people don't want the idea of starving children, families drinking water ridden with feces and people consumed with so many diseases you can't even imagine running through their brains. But open your eyes. This world is a very sad place. While I'm typing this on my Mac, wearing warm clothes and new shoes that cost the amount that could feed a family for a month or longer (see, I'm not perfect, don't think I am even kind of close) with the heater running and a full stomach because I have TOO MUCH to eat, people are dying. And starving. And drinking poop water.  Would I EVER allow my child to drink that? And why am I so much better than others that they shouldn't have the same basic human right? It's not because I earned it. Or I've worked for it.  All in caps because I just feel the need to stress this: WE ALL ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING CARE OF MANKIND, BOTH CURRENT AND FUTURE. So do a little, take a reusable bag to the store, recycle, give instead of take, buy used, repurpose things, give a  little more, waste less and don't be so apathetic about another human life. Did I mention that we're not perfect or 100% and we don't ever claim to be, but we try to do our part and all I'm begging is that anyone who happens to run across this measly blog post in cyber space says "hey, I can make a little change."

I'd like to end on a not so crappy realistic note but I'm not going to now toot sunshine as to make everyone feel better =) So pretty much I leave all 2 of you that read this with this: 

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" -Gandhi

1 comment: